About Gary Gillette
Gary Gillette is the president of 24-7 Baseball, L.L.C., a member of the board of directors of the Society for American Baseball Research, co-chair of SABR’s Ballparks Committee, co-editor (with Pete Palmer) of the ESPN Baseball Encyclopedia, and executive editor of the ESPN Pro Football Encyclopedia. Gillette has written, co-authored, or edited numerous baseball books, including Big League Ballparks, Tigers Corner, Ultimate Red Sox Companion, Ultimate Yankees Companion, Baseball Weekly Insider, The Scouting Report, and The Great American Baseball Stat Book.
As an officer and director of the Tiger Stadium Conservancy, Gillette is still active in the ongoing fight to save the historic site at Michigan and Trumbull in Detroit.? He is also a member of the mayor’s committee to save Hamtramck Stadium, one of the few remaining Negro League home parks.
24-7 Baseball is a sports data research and management agency that represents the proprietors of professional-grade databases for Major League Baseball, Minor League Baseball, Professional Football, Professional Basketball, Professional Hockey, College Football, and College Basketball.
Gillette lives in Detroit’s historic Indian Village. You can reach him by e-mail at GGillette@247Baseball.com or by telephone at 313.331.3423.
GARY GILLETTE’S DETAILED C.V.
- Editor-in-chief and creative force behind two groundbreaking sports encyclopedias: The ESPN Baseball Encyclopedia and the ESPN Pro Football Encyclopedia. The baseball volume debuted in 2004; five editions were published by Sterling. The football volume debuted in 2006; Sterling published two editions.
- Editor of the annual Emerald Guide to Baseball, 2007?2014 (eight editions).
- Editor, Calling the Game:The Complete History of Baseball Team Broadcasting and Broadcasters (to be published in 2014).
- Executive Editor, Biographical Encyclopedia of the Negro Baseball Leagues, second edition (to be published by Omnigraphics, Inc., in 2014).
- Contributing author, SABR Bio Project (SABR.org).
- Contributing author, Bridging Two Dynasties: The 1947 Yankees (University of Nebraska Press, 2013).
- Contributing author, Detroit Tigers 1984: What a Start! What a Finish! (SABR, 2013).
- Contributing author, Sweet ??60: The 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates (SABR, 2013).
- Lead author, Big League Ballparks: The Complete Illustrated History of Major-League Baseball Parks (Metro Books, 2009).
- Editor of Baseball-Reference.com??s Baseball Early Bird daily newsletter, 2008?2009.
- Co-editor, The Ultimate Yankees Companion? (Maple Street Press, 2008).
- Contributing author, Sock It to Em Tigers (Maple Street Press, 2008).
- Editor, Tigers Corner 2007 and 2008 (Maple Street Press).
- Co-editor, The Ultimate Red Sox Companion (Maple Street Press, 2007).
- Contributing editor, Bombers Broadside 2007 (Maple Street Press).
- Baseball columnist for ESPN.com??s MLB Insider, 2005?2006.
- Contributor to third through eighth editions of Total Baseball encyclopedia, 1993?2004.
- Co-author with Bill Felber of “The Changing Game” in the seventh and eighth editions of Total Baseball.
- Author of a groundbreaking piece on the history of the home run in the sixth edition of Total Baseball.
- Contributor to the best-selling annual Baseball Prospectus book and BaseballProspectus.com (2002?2008).
- Contributing editor, Baseball: The Biographical Encyclopedia (Total Sports Publishing, 2000).
- Contributor to annual editions of the Baseball Weekly Almanac (1992?2000).
- Co-author, Baseball Weekly Insider 2000 (Total Sports).
- Co-author, Baseball Weekly Insider 1999 (Total Sports).
- Author, The Spy: Baseball ’98 (Total Sports).
- Executive editor of Total Baseball Daily, 1996?1999.
- Contributor to TotalBaseball.com, AT&T Interchange, and Sports Illustrated Online, 1996?1999.
- Editor of the Baseball Workshop Online on AOL, 1996.
- Editor, The Scouting Report: 1995 and 1996 (HarperCollins).
- Editor, The Great American Baseball Stat Book (1992, 1993, and 1994 editions, HarperCollins).
- Editor, 1992 Fantasy League Baseball (Publications International).
- Contributor, The 1990 Baseball Annual (Warner Books).
- Contributing editor, Bill James Presents The Great American Baseball Stat Book (1986 and 1987 editions).
- Newspaper bylines (1980s and 1990s): USA Today, Baseball Weekly, Detroit Free Press, and Lansing State Journal.
- Baseball annual magazine credits (1980s and 1990s): Lindy’s Baseball Scouting Report, Lindy’s Fantasy Baseball, Baseball Today, Bill Mazeroski??s Baseball, Ultimate Sports Baseball, and Hawes Fantasy Baseball.
Other Professional Experience
- President of 24-7 Baseball, L.L.C. (North Carolina), 1999?2005, a baseball content, licensing, and consulting company.
- Co-founder/vice president of Total Sports, Inc., an Internet and print sports information publisher headquartered in Raleigh, North Carolina, 1997?1999.
- President and proprietor of The Baseball Workshop, 1992?1997, a research and consulting company that became part of Total Sports in 1997. Operated a national stringer network covering Major League Baseball while producing and maintaining a unique set of databases about the National Pastime.
- Baseball commentator and analyst, 1991?1998, for several National Public Radio stations, including WHYY in Philadelphia, WKAR-AM in East Lansing, Michigan, and Minnesota Public Radio.
- Vice president of SportSource, Inc., publisher of the Baseball Blue Book, 1991?1992.
- Guest baseball expert on WKAR??s Sports Talk, 1985?2012.
- Consultant and expert witness on baseball-related litigation.
- Consultant to insurance companies on baseball injuries.
- Consultant to player agents on baseball salary arbitration cases.
Baseball-Related Non-Profit Service
- Founder and president of the Friends of Historic Hamtramck Stadium, 2012?present.
- Member, 2014 Jerry Malloy Negro League Conference planning committee.
- Co-founder, judge, and financial supporter of Greg Spira Baseball Research Award, 2012?present.
- National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, Benefactor, 2011?present.
- Board of Directors of the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR), 2009?2012.
- Member of the Mayor??s Committee to Save Hamtramck Stadium, 2009?2012. Led the effort to place Historic Hamtramck Stadium, one of only a handful of former Negro League home ballparks still standing, on the National Register of Historic Places in 2012.
- Co-chair of the SABR??s Ballparks Committee, 2009?present.
- Organizer, underwriter, and host of the 2008 SABR Detroit symposium Late In the Game: The Tigers?? and Red Sox?? Long Road to Integration.
- Officer and director of the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy, 2007?present. Intimately involved in the struggle to save historic Tiger Stadium, and continuing to fight as part of the Conservancy for preservation of the historic field at Michigan and Trumbull.
- Sports Panel (Elector) of the National Polish-American Sports Hall of Fame, 2006?present.
- Founder and chair of the SABR Detroit chapter, 2006?present.
- Founder and chair of SABR Union Project, 2005?2013.
- Co-chair of SABR??s Business of Baseball Committee, 2004?2009.
- Executive director, Project Scoresheet, Inc., 1987?1989.
- Member of the board of directors of Project Scoresheet, 1985?1991.
Other Memberships & Associations
- Baseball Prospectus Advisory Board, 2011?present.
- Society for American Baseball Research, 1983?present.
- Mayo Smith (Detroit Tigers) Society.
- National Trust for Historic Preservation.